Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Back to Black

Not So Basic Black





Black is the last thing from basic.  In my opinion it is the most influential and used color in fashion right now.  It can be seen in so many famous designers upcoming lines.  Personally, it is my favorite color to wear.  There are so many different way that you can style it, that its not just the basic color that many think it is.

Above are three different looks for all the different seasons, and just some of the different ways to style it.  The left is Victoria Beckham wearing a black blazer, under shirt, pants and velvet boots.  Another thing that mixes up this look is the blazer, which has some shine on the color adding some more dimension. This would be my example of a fall/ winter look.  The thing that makes this look is that its not the same fabric or length or anything. If everything is the same material or cut then the look can become one- dimensional and sad.  

Styling an all black look with a vibrant color such as the girl in the center can add a little excitement to a look.  The center look is a spring/summer look that still is practical for the warm weather; even though it is all black.  The light weight top allows for breathing and won't stick to you in that summer heat.  Cute sequin shorts add a little sparkle for some fun.

Another great thing that you can play with is a mixing up silhouettes and shape.  This can be seen in my third example on the right which is definitely another winter/ fall piece.  This big chunky sweater gives little shape, while the slim fitting pants underneath show plenty of figure.  By offsetting the chunkiness of the sweater with the skinny legged pants, you can avoid the "blob" look, which is when everything is baggy and makes you look like a blob and can't see ones body shape (I just kind of made up that term).  This statement necklace adds a little personality to this look as well.  

Black is far from basic and through proper styling and playing with dimension, you can really take black to a new level.  It's no longer the boring, sad color that is used to be .  


Comment below and tell me some of your favorite things to do with black pieces. 

3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of black. It is so simple to dress up with just a scarf or jacket. I am also a big fan of black skinny jeans. They are flattering on so many different types of people. If only I had more time to wear them. For now I will just stick to my black sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying my black skinny jeans are my favorite thing to wear, I feel like I can do so much with them whether it dressing them up with a nice top or more casual with a sweater and combat boots.

      Delete
  2. We had an instructor once who wore black everyday. Even though I like a little more variety in my personal look, I always thought she looked polished and professional.

    ReplyDelete