Monday, April 14, 2014

Humidity and Hair

Humidity and Hair

As April showers have shown to be force to be reckoned with this year, the rain's good friend humidity has also been showing April some love.  And as a female "blessed" with naturally wavy/curly/frizzy hair, humidity and I are not on such great terms.  The best example to me of what humidity can do a persons hair will always be when Monica from Friends goes to Barbados with everyone else and her hair ends up like this:


However, have no fear there are some tricks I have learned after many years of dealing with this "blessing."
  1. Use anti-frizz product! The more consistently used the more it controls the frizz.  Also I find that using while your hair is still wet is when you get the best result. (My personal preference is the Jon Frieda anti-frizz serum. )
  2. Let your hair air dry as opposed to using a blowdryer. From my own experience I have found that blow drying just speeds up the process your growing (wider, not longer).
  3. Braid, braid, braid.  Knowing how to braid, or having a very kind friend or family member that is willing to braid can be your best ally.  There are all different types of braided hairstyles that can go with an type of occasion.  The best source I use for finding new braid hairstyles, is Pinterest (of course)
  4. The Backup bun.  For those days when nothing is helping your hair, there is always the bun that will get the job done.  
Let me know if you find these helpful, or have any other tips or ticks :)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Aly lol. My hair too is wavy and notoriously frizzy this time of year, and I've taken to braiding it frequently. My cabinet is also packed full of anti-frizz products. One other thing I find helpful is this: When showering- dry the ends of your hair off after shampooing so that you can apply conditioner to slightly less damp hair. This helps the conditioner soak in before you rinse it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you all the way on the horrible effects of humidity! Its soon getting to that point in the year where my hair no longer looks good after I style it... ahh thank you humidity! But thanks for the pointers! I will definitely have to try them out this summer.

    ReplyDelete